Cultural Intelligence – the capability to function effectively across national, ethnic and organizational cultures. (Livermore, Leading with Cultural Intelligence)
• Critical thinking skills when comparing/contrasting native culture to other cultures
• Live, thrive and survive in new culture, adaptation and/ or acculturation
• Confidence and curiosity motivate cross-cultural communication and interaction
• Ability to lead/coach others to develop similar skills
How to Develop Cultural Intelligence
1. Practice Why, Why, Why, Why
2. Keep a journal of cross cultural interactions
3. Examine cross cultural interactions in media
4. Engage in active planning (when you know you are going to be in a multicultural setting).
5. Find cultural guides
6. Work across numerous cultures, ask lots of questions
When going into a multicultural setting:
1. What’s it going to take to motivate me?
2. What do I need to know?
3. What’s my plan?
4. What behaviors should I adapt to?